Saturday, March 28, 2015

Film Review - Run All Night (2015)

Run All Night stars Liam Neeson as Jimmy Conlon whose son Michael (Joel Kinnaman) gets caught up in trouble between members of the Mob led by Shawn Maguire (Ed Harris) so Jimmy decides to help Michael in the way only he knows best.

I have to say going into this film that I was not very keen primarily because with the exception of the first Taken film Neeson's action career has failed to impress ever since but this film added Ed Harris who is one of my favorite actors so hope was kindled for this film.

And nicely that hope wasn't let down as I thought that this was the first Neeson running and shooting and growling and shouting into his Mobile Phone going "I will find you and I will kill you" action picture since Taken to impress me and the reason here is that this film has a real sense of narrative and a real sense of stakes to it plus the film is well cast.

Both Neeson and Harris equip themselves well and I liked watching them both together, Kinnaman is fine but not memorable as the troubled son while Vincent D'Onofrio (who I swear looks like our current Treasurer Joe Hockey but 20 years older) was nice to watch again and Nick Nolte made me cringe with his grizzled speaking that just made me think "He's turning into a Wookiee"

And so that was Run All Night which I actually liked more than I thought I would but still I wouldn't rush off to the cinemas to see it, 2 out of 5.

No comments: