Saturday, March 28, 2015

Film Review - Cinderella (2015)

Cinderella is directed by Sir Kenneth Branagh and is based off of the classic fairytale and this one stars Lily James as Cinderella who suffers through the death of her parents and is treated badly by her stepmother (Cate Blanchett) but a chance encounter with the Prince (Richard Madden) could give her life a happy ending.

Hopes were fairly high for me heading to this film mainly because of the people involved, I'm a big fan of Branagh despite Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit from last year being an unmitigated disaster as well as Blanchett as the wicked stepmother which I just thought was inspired casting, could this be a night at the ball or not?

It was that indeed as I really enjoyed this movie, it was a grand old fairytale and Branagh did a terrific job here, James is very likeable as Cinderella and does a great job here hiding her real Northern England accent into a sweet voice, Blanchett just oozes villainy and style here and is much better here than she was in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Plastic Prop sorry Crystal Skull and I also liked seeing Stellan Skarsgard, Hayley Atwell and Derek Jacobi in their small roles.

The film also has a great musical score by long time Branagh composer Patrick Doyle (the ballroom dance music is really good) as well as great sets by Dante Feretti and the script by Chris Weitz is also good although I have to say that the message of courage and kindness was one that I found a little questionable after the film ended as I thought given the events of the film should have changed that somewhat.

But lastly I have to talk about the Frozen short which plays in front of this film and its okay but will mainly be for the fans of the film which I wasn't.

And so that was Cinderella which a great family time at the cinema for young and old and Sir Kenneth has made up for letting me down so much with Jack Ryan last year, 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: