Saturday, March 28, 2015

Film Review - Home (2015)

Home is the new Dreamworks Animated film and takes place in the future where an Alien race called the Boov take over Earth and relocate the humans one named Oh (Jim Parsons) then befriends a young girl named Tip (Rhianna) as they try to find her lost mother and avoid Captain Smek (Steve Martin) leader of the Boov as well as another Alien race called the Gorg.

Hmm, where to begin.

Well I should start with the smegging obvious which is that I hated this movie and I hated sitting through it for these key reasons:

- The first is that I just cannot stand either Rhianna or Parsons and listening to them both for long periods of time felt like torture to my ears, first off Parsons talks in a way WHERE IT IS LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME as if he has to enounciate every single word and Rhianna talks in that "I'm gonna like this all the time" in that really bratty way and there were times where I was like "Will you both just SHUT UP FOR 5 MINUTES" and neither of them were all that appealing in their roles and Martin who I love in Little Shop of Horrors as the Dentist is wasted here as he is given very little to work with.

- And the second reason is that the story doesn't really do an awful lot with its premise, the Gorg don't really do a lot here and the Boov aren't that interesting a race and it ends very very predictably and this is all why Dreamworks animation is in so much financial trouble, they don't take the time to develop a story to its fullest and rely far too much on getting the big stars to do the voicework to cover the cracks, I thought better of Jeffrey Katzenburg given how he single handedly revived Disney in the 80s and 90s but obviously I was wrong.

And so that was Home which I hated sitting through but the Kids ate up so this is one for them, 1 out of 5.

No comments: