Saturday, March 28, 2015

Film Review - Spongebob: Sponge Out of Water (2015)

Spongebob: Sponge Out of Water continues the tale of Spongebob and his friends in Bikini Bottom who come under attack by a pirate (Antonio Banderas) and in order to save their home must go into the real world to take him on.

I was not a big fan of the TV series that this film is based on nor did I see the first movie made in 2004 but I will say that this has some good jokes in it that did make me laugh when I was watching it in the cinema and I really liked also seeing the traditional animation segment and hearing the original voice cast especially Clancy Brown who voices Mr Krabs and Banderas has a great time here acting effectively by himself as the villain.

Sadly however the film is both way too long (it felt like a 2 hour film and I just sat there at the halfway point going "I'm waiting for the plot to begin") and the segment in the real world isn't all that good as it was effectively spoiled in the numerous previews for this film and there wasn't much in the way of new stuff in that part to make me feel otherwise.

That being said though the young boys and the fans of the series will have a good time here and I liked some of it but not enough to recommend it, 1 out of 5.

No comments: