Saturday, February 27, 2016

Film Review - Spotlight (2016)

Spotlight tells a fairly straightforward tale of the Spotlight division of the Boston Globe being tasked by their new editor (Liev Schreiber) into investigating possible Child Abuse by Clergy inside the Catholic Church which is said to have been going on for decades.

Spotlight plays out very much like an old fashioned film and whilst watching it I felt like I was watching the kind of film Oliver Stone used to make like Wall Street or Platoon or JFK or Born on the Fourth of July and the story it tells very much makes you think, the film also has a very strong ensemble cast consisting of Shreiber, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Mark Ruffalo, Tony Slattery, Stanley Tucci and Brian d'Arcy James and all of them play off each other very well.

If I do have a fault here is that this didn't really feel like a film to me it felt more like a recorded stage play and Oliver Stone's films as well as having compelling storytelling like this film does they also felt like movies to me and I wish that Tom McCarthy had made this film feel a little more cinematic as watching this in the cinema didn't quite feel right at times.

Another thing I thought of very strongly when I came out of the film was a line Apocalypse says in the teaser for X-Men and it is "You are all my Children but your lost Because you Follow Blind Leaders" and whilst thinking about this movie some more I did come to the conclusion that perhaps he was right now I know this is a VERY frivolous and silly comparison to make but doesn't one of the hymns also say "I once was Blind but now I see" and yet could we as peoples with all the knowledge of the world at our very fingertips did we not see through the darkness and perhaps question these people more regarding their motives to help these young kids, it really makes you think.

I admire Spotlight very much mainly due to its strong storytelling but as a film it's not one I love I'm afraid but still it's worth a watch, 3 out of 5.

No comments: