Friday, February 19, 2016

Film Review - Brooklyn (2016)

Brooklyn is set in the 1950s and concerns a young girl named Eilis (Saoirse Ronan) who goes to America in the hope of finding a better life for herself away from Ireland thanks to a local priest (Jim Broadbent) but when she has to return home for family matters she finds herself conflicted between the new life she's built there and the attraction of a home grown man named Jim (Domnhall Gleeson.)

Brooklyn is a nice film, a very lovely and charming film and is also very nicely performed but it's not one that has really stood out for me very much in my mind since I saw it, that doesn't make it a bad film far from it but that was just the feeling I got in thinking about it since I saw the film, Ronan is a great talent and here she does not disappoint being able to give a fully emotional performance as well as delivering an Irish accent, Gleeson is another bright young talent despite his pretty bad performance in Star Wars (sorry mate but you let me down here) and he gives a nice performance as well and he and Ronan have very good chemistry.

The film also has good performances from Broadbent (Frank Butterman) and Julie Walters who plays the head of the boarding house Eilis stays in and she also has some nice moments that made me laugh, Emory Cohen is also pretty good as Tony and I liked the scenery of both Ireland the United States as presented in the film.

And so that was Brooklyn, I wish I had more to say but that's just how I felt about it, I liked it it was nice, lovely and well done but it wasn't one that has resonated with me very much, 2 out of 5.

No comments: