Saturday, February 27, 2016

Film Review - How to be Single (2016)

How to be Single tells the tale of Alice (Dakota Johnson) who feels stuck in a rut whilst in a relationship so she tells her partner Josh that she's breaking up with him and she moves to NYC and lives with her sister (Leslie Mann) and goes out partying with her best friend (Rebel Wilson) but being Single in New York isn't always easy.

This was a little bit of a misfire for me I'm afraid and part of me wanted to see it primarily due to my desire to see Johnson act in a proper film that was not 50 Shades of Grey where she did her awful best to elevate that material to something a little worthwhile and I'd missed her in Black Mass late last year so I was determined to get to this one and again I think she is good here as well as Mann who has a very nice screen presence all her own.

Unfortunately both of them are let down by a messy script that constantly cuts away from them to either Wilson having a gag (and by the way she is really annoying in this film) or to another sub plot featuring Alison Brie and her character and she's okay here but that character I felt could've been removed from the script entirely as again it felt like a distraction from the main storyline and Wilson's antics also didn't help as Johnson and Mann are a great pair and I just wanted to watch scenes of them just talking to each other.

And so that was How to be Single, a film that was okay but whose script needed a tightening and more focus on the 2 sisters Johnson and Mann played, 2 out of 5.

No comments: