Saturday, February 14, 2015

Film Review - Mud (2013)

Mud is written and directed by Jeff Nichols and stars Matthew McConaghey as Mud, a man stranded on an island in America, one day he meets two young boys Ellis (Tye Sheridan) and Neckbone (Jacob Lofland) who offer to help him get to his love Juniper (Reese Witherspoon) but the men whose son Mud killed want revenge.

I liked this film, I thought it was a good little drama with some great performances at its heart, McConaughey is very good here despite only being a supporting role in the film, Witherspoon is serviceable in her role and I also liked seeing Sam Shepard, Joe Don Baker and Michael Shannon in their small roles.

But to me the real heart of this film is Sheridan and the reason I want to single him out (well a key reason) is that this young man is going to be the young Scott Summers aka Cyclops in X-Men Apocalypse next year and I have to say not only is he very good here but it gave me a lot of confidence that he will do Cyclops justice as he has the right physical presence plus the sense of right and wrong as well as a natural leadership instinct and I really hope Bryan Singer can bring that out in him in the same way Nichols has used him very well also.

And so that was Mud, a good little drama with great performances, 3 out of 5.

No comments: