Thursday, February 26, 2015

Film Review - The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015)

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel continues the tale of the British retirees (Bill Nighy, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith among others) as the Hotel they stay in has become full and Sonny (Dev Patel) is looking to expand to a new outlet but Guy Chambers (Richard Gere) may prove to be one bump on that road.

I was very very excited to see this movie going into it mainly because I really liked the first film and this 2nd one added Gere to the cast which pushed it into "Here take my money" territory so could the film deliver the goods or was it a victim of my own hype to see it?

Well it gives me great pleasure to say that I had a great time here watching this film, a lot of the same creative team from that film return here and their presence is felt as you really feel right at home revisiting these characters in their new life in India, Nighy, Patel, Dench and Smith are particularly good here and there were numerous times where I had a good laugh.

But I have to talk about Gere some more as I was just beaming from ear to ear whenever he was on screen and I also couldn't help but think of the song "Up Where we Belong" from Gere's breakout film An Officer and a Gentleman at times so I hope that the success of this film will let us see him in more films in the future.

Sadly the film does have a flaw to it and its the length, the film does feel 15-20 minutes too long and towards the end of the film I did check my watch on some occasions but despite that I did enjoy myself.

And so the 2nd Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is a most valuable second entry with these characters and I had a great time despite the length, 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: