Monday, February 23, 2015

Film Review - Still Alice (2015)

Still Alice is the story of Alice (Julianne Moore) a Linguistics Professor at Columbia University with a Husband (Alec Baldwin) and 3 grown children (Kristen Stewart, Kate Bosworth and Hunter Parrish) but Alice finds herself diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and her life slowly falling apart.

Still Alice for me was not a bad film but it just really felt like a TV Disease movie of the week, it just had that feel to it and now that I think about it part of me wonders why this is in a cinema as it doesn't really look that cinematic and for me I didn't really feel any strong emotional impact with this story, now I know that Alzheimer's is a horrible disease but here I just didn't really care all that much about it and when it was over I wasn't all that sad.

That being said however Moore is very good here as is Baldwin who I loved seeing again (Paramount made a FATAL FATAL! mistake letting him go as Jack Ryan after the Hunt for Red October) and Stewart was surprisingly effective if a little on the bland side, Bosworth doesn't really get a lot to do apart from drift in and out of the film and Parrish has only a few scenes here or there.

So Still Alice was not a bad film at all thanks to the performances but I didn't feel a lot of emotional impact nor did it feel cinematic, 2 out of 5.

No comments: