Saturday, February 25, 2012

Film Review - Warrior (2011)


Warrior concerns the story of two estranged brothers, Tommy (Tom Hardy) and Brendan (Joel Edgerton), Tommy is a former Iraq War veteran and Brendan is a high school physics teacher who is suspended after he is in a MMA fight, but the two also have a father (Nick Nolte) who was a drunk when they were young, but when the two learn of a MMA tournament called Sparta, they sign up to win its 5 million dollar prize.

Well, I can't say in all honesty that this was a movie that I enjoyed all that much, don't get me wrong I thought Edgerton and Jennifer Morrison were good in their roles and the MMA scenes were very well directed and edited but this story is built on contrivance after contrivance.

I mean you have the underdog no one believes in, the hard hitting, the brash host, the bitter old man, the dutiful love interest who doesn't really serve much relevance to the plot and for good measure you even have the big Russian who enters the tournament, though he doesn't say "I must break you."

What I wish had happened was that the central focus of the film was on Edgerton and Morrison as Brendan is very much in the Balboa tradition: A working class man, down on his luck trying every way he can to make things right but ultimately turning to the one thing he was good at to create a better life for himself and the people he loves, this was the heart of Rocky II and I wish it had been the narrative focus here.

As I said, it has some good fight scenes but everything else feels too contrived for me to recommend it, 1.5 out of 5.

No comments: