Sunday, February 5, 2012

Film Review - Colombiana (2011)


Colombiana is the latest production by Luc Besson, best known for such films as Subway, The Big Blue and the Fifth Element, here he tells the tale of Catalina (Zoe Saldana) a young Colombian girl who sees her parents murdered and then escapes to America and grows up to be a professional assassin so she can exact her revenge.

You know, I like Zoe Saldana very much and I really liked Besson's 2008 production Taken with Liam Neeson but this one felt really, really dull mainly because unlike Taken which had a great central performance by Neeson and a clean and clear narrative structure, this movie doesn't have any sense of narrative at all and even the films action scenes get boring after a while, I can't believe that this was the same actress that poured her heart and soul into Neytiri in Avatar could pretty much phone it in here, what a waste of a great talent.

So in closing, go and rent Taken instead, its cheaper, you'll get more value for money and you'll have a great time, what more can you ask for, 1 out of 5.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I liked Taken and Colombiana. I really love Zoe as an actress. I believe she portrayed Catelaya quite well. I know I would seek revenge if that were to happen to me. Just kidding, deep down I would want to though. I rented Colombiana through Blockbuster @Home and it was able to be streamed instantly to my TV. I get a lot more choices of movies by using Blockbuster @Home. Since working for DISH, I have seen great feedback on using Blockbuster @Home. My son loves the option of having video games mailed to our home. Family nights are a lot better with Blockbuster @Home.