Saturday, October 3, 2009

Film Review - Angels and Demons (2009)


Angels and Demons stars Tom Hanks once more as Harvard professor Robert Langdon who finds himself on his way to the Vatican after the death of the Pope and four cardinals who are hot favorites to replace him are kidnapped and due to be killed once every hour in a space of four before the bomb goes off that will destroy them all in a bath of light.

And that last part of the plot explanation is pretty much going to give you the feeling of a rousing adventure in the style of Indiana Jones, well sadly it doesn’t and the whole thing just feels ludicrous in many ways, first off the plot could very well have been the plot of the next Batman film if Heath Ledger had lived to play the Joker again with the Vatican standing in for Gotham City, secondly the use of the four elements Earth, Wind, Fire and Water made me think ‘why not just throw Heart in there to make the full set while you’re at it and have them summon Captain Planet at the end of the movie’ I mean that’s how stupid this film is.

Oh and if all of that isn’t enough, every time Hanks comes across an important plot point it turns into ‘we must go there’ dun dun dun dun dun dun dun I mean as I’ve said earlier in my review, the whole thing just feels cartoonish and also for people who are meant to go quickly they like to take they’re sweet time while they’re at it I mean you just end up putting your finger to your watch to signal to them to get going before someone gets killed, I mean can’t you sight see another time when a bomb isn’t threatening to blow everyone to kingdom come I mean come on.

I could of course go on but to close things off, this movie does not come recommended unless you want to laugh yourself stupid at the ludicrousness of it all but in terms of an actual rating well I will say that in it’s defense this is probably the funniest film I’ve seen since Hot Fuzz so I’ll give it a 1 out of 5 on that basis.

No comments: