Sunday, October 12, 2008

In Memorial: Stan Winston – 1946-2008

As I’ve noted in my reviews of Iron Man, Stan Winston, the effects master behind such films as Terminator, Aliens, Jurassic Park and Batman Returns, sadly passed away on June 15th this year to multiple myeloma.


In my mind, this is a huge loss for film fans and the industry in general, as many films that benefited from the work he did on them really stuck in the minds of viewers, I mean the work on Iron Man from earlier in the year, the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, the Alien Queen in Aliens, the Terminator and T-1000 from T1 and T2 and so on and so forth.


Another area where this is a huge loss is that he also knew how to seamlessly integrate CG effects with the real thing, as seen in Iron Man, Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park, many other film companies have done good CG work such as ILM and WETA Digital, but Winston’s studio knew how to do it right.


On that note, it saddens me to write this but it also saddens me that very little fuss was made by the world press considering he won 4 Oscars, but again I can’t say I’m all that surprised either, as the press are far more interested in tabloid headlines from the likes of Paris Hilton, Angelina Jolie, Amy Winehouse etc etc, I know I might be trying to do the same thing with the press and their treatment of this but Winston was a true movie legend and film fans like myself will miss him dearly.

No comments: