Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Editorial - Blu-Ray Disc: Cutting through the Kool-Aid

Continuing with my annual series of editorial features, I now aim my sights at the new Blu-Ray disc format and debate whether I feel it will succeed DVD as the next new format or not, cutting through the PR kool-aid as it were.


And to be fully honest, my answer actually divides two ways, on one hand Blu-Ray gaming which is in use on the PS3 discs I feel will very much outdo DVD gaming which is used by the PC and Xbox 360 formats due to the larger disc space, GTA IV’s Liberty City on the PS3 to me was very immersive and had some incredible detail and look, especially at night.


But on the other hand, Blu-Ray as a format for films sad to say is not that big of a leap over the current DVD format, which when introduced was a huge leap over VHS and lets face it, VHS was a very limited format, big tapes, a modified picture instead of the true widescreen picture and wear and tear on tapes.


DVD on the other hand, had the widescreen picture as it was in theatres, digital surround sound, interactive menus, chapter selections and for the first time, the ability to see making of documentaries and deleted scenes and other such extra material.


Blu-Ray only really refines that to include more interactive material and take a 2 disc set like the one made for Bonnie and Clyde to use as an example and fit it on one disc, which I like and think is a cool idea but in terms of Audio/Visual improvements, to me it was razor thin between this and an upscaled DVD and as a friend pointed out to me, its also the same movie, whether you loved it or hated it.


And its also how I would describe this format in terms of films, Blu-Ray just feels like a razor thin improvement and not that great big of a leap over DVD as that format was over VHS, I know this won’t win me many friends but its just one persons honest opinion.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

True enough, it's not a massive leap. But the PC and 360 vs ps3 part doesn't hold up. The increased capacity is nice, but as yet we are yet to see the increased disc space to increase visual fidelity. It may in the future, but at the moment, the slower bluray loading times result in a tedious and mandatory install at little to no visual improvement.

As for Bluray movies, the one feature I most appreciate is the menu overlay system. The more nails we put in the completely shitty DVD menu system the current generation has suffered through, the better.