Saturday, August 30, 2008

Film Review - Dick Tracy (1990)

Dick Tracy was first released in 1990 and is based on the comic book by Chester Gould, the film stars Warren Beatty who also served as director as Dick Tracy himself, the story concerns Big Boy Caprice played by Al Pacino uniting the mob bosses of the city for a massive take over bid, but not if Tracy has his way.


I have to say that I really enjoyed Dick Tracy a lot, the visual design of the film is rich and colorful as well as the use of makeup, Beatty and his team did a great job and I also liked his performance as Tracy, it hit the right note between a hero and a man, I also enjoyed some of the other actors in particular Dustin Hoffman as Mumbles.


But there were some set backs, Danny Elfman’s score at times was a little too reminiscent of his score for Batman the year before and I thought that Pacino went a little too over the top at times.


Out of 5, I give it a firm 4 and a half, some great art direction and performances make this definitely worth watching.

No comments: