Sunday, August 24, 2008

Editorial - Mad Max 4: My Honest Thoughts

As I write this editorial, there is word out on the internet that producer/director George Miller is going to be making a fourth Mad Max film titled Fury Road.


But this time he will be without Series star Mel Gibson, who has bowed out after the initial attempt to get the film made back in 2003, which later ended up going bust once the war in Iraq started, but whilst promoting 2006’s Happy Feet, Miller stated that MM4 was happening again but this time without Gibson.


Now I have to be honest, I am actually kind of glad that Gibson has bowed out, as the recent Terminator, Die Hard and Indiana Jones sequels have all been disasters that don’t compare with their illustrious predecessors and the last film in the series, Beyond Thunderdome (review below), is seen as a disappointment by fans, myself included.


Another area I must be honest about is whether a fourth Mad Max film would actually succeed, the first two Mad Max movies were absolutely brilliant but sadly, the production team that made those films so successful has dwindled down to Miller and possibly Dean Semler, who was the cinematographer on MM 2 and 3 and only if he accepts to return, as Gibson has bowed out and both MM 1 and 2 producer Byron Kennedy and composer Brian May are now long dead.


So there you have it folks, I don’t want to say too much more but those are just my honest thoughts about a new Mad Max film.

No comments: