Thursday, August 28, 2008

Film Review - 300 (2007)

300 is based off the graphic novel from acclaimed comic artist-writer Frank Miller and watercolour artist Lynn Varley, who worked with Miller on the successful “The Dark Knight Returns”, credited for giving the Batman character back his darker roots, the story concerns Spartan King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) learning that a vast army of Persians led by Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) is coming to conquer Sparta, concerned for his people, he leads a small force of 300 to make their stand.


Much like 2005’s Sin City, which made extensive use of Digital Photography and Effects to help bring Miller’s distinct visual style to life, 300’s director Zack Snyder employs the same technique to help bring his film to life, on the one hand it is nice to look at but for people like myself, who prefer the use of real sets and stunt people rather than computer graphics, this is a bit of a letdown.


Another main bone of contention that I had with the film was the extensive use of slow-motion during the action sequences, this has been a problem for me since the Matrix debuted in 1999, ever since then, pretty much every action and/or sci-fi film has tried to rip it off, be it in the plotting or the use of its effects and camera angles, to me, this is nothing more then a lazy copout rather than a chance to do something new and unique.


On a positive note, I really enjoyed the designs of the Persian army, which were from Miller’s original work, the design of the Immortals and the various giants were in my opinion very memorable, the first time I saw Xerxes, I couldn’t help but think of the Humungus from Mad Max 2, I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it was something that I could say about the film that was at least memorable.


On the whole, the film was OK despite my criticisms but focusing a film on its special effects rather than a proper screenplay with a good story and characters you come to care about is just really weak IMO and this film needed something more behind it, but then again, the film following Hot Fuzz had a lot to live up to, so make of that what you will.

No comments: