Sunday, January 1, 2017

Film Review - Red Dog True Blue (2016)

Red Dog True Blue takes place before the events of the original Red Dog film from 2011 and tells of a Perth businessman (Jason Isaacs) who takes his kids to see the original film after it has an effect on him he tells his oldest son about the story that inspired the film which also leads into his time on a Kimberley farm with his grandfather (Bryan Brown.)

Red Dog True Blue is actually a pretty fun prequel and you certainly can't say that about most prequels especially these days and it's not hard to fall in love with that loveable Red Dog all over again and the station Bryan Brown's character runs is full of life and very nice characters ranging from an umbrella wielding Chinaman to a Helicopter Pilot and even some local Indigenous people who tell tales of magic.

Young Levi Miller who I didn't like in Pan from 2015 redeems himself here as the young boy at the heart of the story while Brown is his usual reliable self even if I kept thinking of him as Rollie Tyler from FX Murder by Illusion and when Jason Isaacs came on screen I thought to myself "Hello to Jason Isaacs."

I will also say however that this movie is not as good as the first film primarily because I felt that the story being told here just wasn't as appealing but it's good natured charm and likeable performances won me over by the time the film ended and I began to stew on it in my mind.

Red Dog True Blue is a fun and likeable time but not as good as the original which virtually saved the Australian Film Industry from oblivion, 2 and a half out of 5.

No comments: