Thursday, January 26, 2017

Film Review - Split (2017)

Split is written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan and stars James McAvoy as Kevin a man with Multiple Personality Disorder who kidnaps 3 young girls (Anya Taylor-Joy, Hayley Lu Richardson and Jessica Sula) but the man who is holding them prisoner has multiple personalities some more dangerous than others.

Split is a hell of a lot of fun, dark and twisted yes but I like those kind of films and I had a big grin on my face throughout most of it, Taylor-Joy, Richardson and Sula all equip themselves very well as the young girls being held captive and while some of their scenes especially towards the end were a little uncomfortable for me to watch I never found myself bored when they were on screen.

But this is truly McAvoy's movie and I loved him as Professor Xavier in the recent X-Men trilogy but his performance here is nothing short of remarkable the way he changes his voice, his body posture, his body language, his physical presence it is amazing to see all of these different personalities come to life and whenever he was on screen I was just sitting there with this huge smile on my face and eating up every scene he has.

But this isn't also his movie it was also great to see M. Night Shyamalan enjoy making movies again like he did when he made the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable and Signs in the late 90s and early 2000s and while this film has the best and worst of him as a writer and director this feels like the most energetic and passionate work from him in what seems like a very long time.

And so that was Spilt and like Edge of 17 it really kicks off 2017 as a film year in a very nice fashion, hopefully this continues as the year goes on, 4 out of 5.

No comments: