Sunday, January 1, 2017

Film Review - Passengers (2017)

Passengers is directed by Morten Tyldum who made the Imitation Game and stars Chris Pratt as Jim a mechanic who is accidentally woken up from hyper sleep 30 years into a 120 year journey to Homestead II a planet very much like Earth but the isolation considers him to wake up another Passenger Aurora Lane (Jennifer Lawrence) even though she too will die along the way.

I was very much looking forward to this movie mainly because it was a new Science Fiction film with 2 actors I really like in both Pratt and Lawrence would this become a new Sci Fi classic or just another misfire that sadly crashes not long after takeoff.

Unfortunately most unfortunately I have to say this is a case of the latter as Passengers is enormously disappointing for these reasons:

- Firstly the moral quandary presented in this movie is a fascinating one as unlike say Red Dwarf where the crew is wiped out by Radiation Leaks and one person survives all alone he has a chance to have some company even though he will ruin their life as well and if a connection fails to form then "What Have I Done?" can quickly come to mind.

Sadly both Tyldum and Pratt severely drop the ball in handling this murky story point and its execution comes off as very very badly so bad that it left a bad taste in my mind for the rest of the film and the casting of Pratt in this role really did not help as I just could not believe him in a role that requires an actor willing to go down this dark path simply to make a voyage through space better for him if it had been Arnold Rimmer for example it probably wouldn't have been a problem but with Pratt he feels miscast.

- And secondly the film completely goes off the rails and becomes Titanic in Space which is not as good as that sounds as the ship starts to go haywire and our lovers have to fix it and save themselves from dying in the process and it is super duper boring to sit through and it reeks of a film that just went off the rails.

I did however like both Lawrence and Michael Sheen in their parts Sheen in particular is the bright spark of the film reminding me a little of Mr. Data from Star Trek the Next Generation hopefully he will get to be in more roles in the future.

I wish I could say Passengers is a great film to kick off the new year but sadly I can't as it really disappointed me and I cannot recommend it, 1 out of 5.

No comments: