Friday, December 16, 2016

Film Review - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Rogue One takes place in the time leading up directly to the events of the original Star Wars film from 1977 and expands on the first victory of the Rebellion over the Empire that was explained in the first paragraph of that crawl from the original film.

Rogue One is not a bad film at all, it's perfectly fine and passable entertainment but there are some serious problems I had with it for these reasons:

- Firstly the story here gave me flashes of how I felt about the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy from 1999 to 2005 and that feeling was "I don't care about this, I know what happens get on with it" and watching this movie that feeling got stronger and stronger like a Jedi Knight unable to resist the calling of the Force to them and even though there is some nice action here it all began to feel like a videogame after a while and without that story interest I found it hard to care.

- Secondly the characters here for the most part including the main group of Rebel Alliance Freedom Fighters all come across as one big gelatinous group of people that were hard to distinguish from one to the other they all looked like worn down combat veterans and they all wore the same uniform for the most part and I never really got invested in their journey, Donnie Yen was really good as this blind Samurai who uses the Force to see and become aware of his surroundings but he was probably the only standout for me.

- And lastly and I hate to say this the main villain here Krennick played by Ben Mendelsohn felt like a bit of a waste not only of Mendo who is a very likeable and watchable actor even if it is only to see how fully Mendo he'll go but his character in this script feels very perfunctory in a sense that with a clever rewrite of the script (and this underwent extensive reshoots) his character could have either been removed or another famous character from this story could've been removed and Mendo could've easily filled those boots.

But there is one big positive that is pretty much the reason I don't write this film off at all and that is Lord Darth Vader and one scene in particular (and I will NOT!!! give it away) had me giddy as all hell in my seat where I was thinking "THEY MADE VADER GREAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!" and in my more measured and critical mind going "This is the best scene in a film since Quicksilver in X-Men" it makes me wish he was in this movie more but alas I can always go back to the original trilogy to watch him in his magnificent glory.

And so that was Rogue One its okay but also I found it to be forgettable, 2 out of 5.

No comments: