Saturday, December 3, 2016

Looking Back at 2016 Part 1

Well here we are again boys and girls another movie year, another year of "Can I get 1 for this at 12.15 thank you" another year of talking on Radio about new release films and another year of ups and downs and movies in the middle is over.

And yet despite all of that, all of the running around and jumping on and off of buses and cars and paving the footpaths to my cinema and back this year in movies has been well pretty terrible.

And by that I mean so many films that I saw this year came across as very meh, bland, blaze or at times just plain boring, uninspiring and sloppy and to me a great movie year like 2011-2015 should be inspiring for a film lover a sustenance to keep them going through the 12 month period of watching new releases but this year that at least for me it has been difficult.

Perhaps a large part of this malaise has been to do with the fact that I turned 30 back in April and that has made me think about a few things outside of movie going this is hard to explain I know but that feeling has been a pervasive one for me throughout most of this year and its only now in the last period of the year where that feeling has lifted from my mind somewhat.

But coming back to the uninspiring part throughout a lot of the US Summer period I kept thinking to myself "We live in a world where we can put anything we like on screen, anything we imagine in our minds we can find the right Viz FX Team and they'll bring it to life for us and THIS is the best you can do this bland, messy, soft and sloppy storytelling that is a slog to sit through, how pathetic."

But enough about that for now as frankly I really have no desire to continue now perhaps films like Moana, Rogue One, La La Land, Allied and Red Dog 2 can turn things around and those 5 are the ones I hope to fully sign off the year with though I doubt my area will get Allied or La La Land given that family films tend to dominate at this time of year but hope must be maintained and besides there's always next year.

No comments: