Friday, September 9, 2016

Film Review - The Shallows (2016)

The Shallows stars Blake Lively as a Medical Student who is visiting the Mexican beach her mother went to when she was pregnant with her from their she sees a mysterious island but she also ends wandering into the feeding area of a Shark and it now becomes a fight for survival.

I did not like this movie at all for these reasons of 2:

- Firstly not once did I think that this film was scary in any way shape or form sure some JUMP SCARES OOOOOOOOOO!!!!! would come at you like that and the sound would perk up and the editing become rapid but after about 2 seconds I didn't care about it and also a lot of is just the same old CGI blood and gore that we get too much of these days and I don't find it scary just dirt cheap.

- And secondly Blake Lively just did not compel me in her role, I never really bought her as a medical student and also I never felt that she was in any genuine danger which is not helped by the endless shots of both her bottom and her bikini line I mean for fucks sake she's meant to be in mortal danger from a Shark even if it is a CGI one that you should never ever show me as it looks fake but instead she's shot as if she was doing a Swimwear magazine cover I mean come on guys.

But lastly this whole film just kept making me want to rewatch Jaws again which was genuinely scary and had compelling characters hell I even thought of Robert Shaw's character Quint whilst watching this film and Roy Scheider's last line to the Shark in that film.

And so that was the Shallows not a very good horror film I'm afraid, watch Jaws instead, 1 out of 5.

No comments: