Friday, September 9, 2016

Film Review - The Secret Life of Pets (2016)

The Secret Life of Pets is the newest film from Illumination Entertainment and concerns a dog named Max who just adores his owner Katie but one night she brings home a rescue dog named Duke and the two don't get along and whilst out being walked end up lost in New York City.

I was very excited for this film mainly because of my love of Cats and having had one for most of my life and also I loved the preview I saw for the film it looked like a lot of fun but could it deliver the goods?

Yes it most certainly could as for a lot of this film I just had a big goofy smile on my face that was very hard to take off for these reasons:

- First of all I love the group of Pets that serve as the main characters in the film all of them were lovingly animated and thinking about that makes me want to pet some of them though my favourite has to be Chloe the Cat I loved every moment she was on screen the same with Leonard the Poodle and Tiberius the Hawk.

- Secondly there is some great voice talent here and first is Albert Brooks as Tiberius who steals every scene he's in and provides some great laughs, Lake Bell voices Chloe and does a really good job with the Cat and Jenny Slate is also good fun as Gidget.

- And lastly the film remembers to have fun as so often these days animated films feel they have to cram in a special message to try and make it mean something and more to the point give it a resonance for the adults going along with the kids to see the film here there is one about tolerating others you don't like at first and a pets need to have an owner that loves it but it's not as in your face as the message in Zootopia and Finding Dory was and I liked both of those films but the message in both of those films does overshadow both of them for good with Dory and for bad with Zootopia.

But before I end things here there is a Minions short film before the main feature where they try to mow a lawn to earn money for a Banana Blender and it was a lot of fun for me BANANA!!!!

And so that was the Secret Life of Pets, a very enjoyable animated film and if you've had a Pet you will really get behind it I think, 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: