Friday, September 9, 2016

Film Review - Nerve (2016)

Nerve tells the tale of Venus (Emma Roberts) a young girl in high school who decides to play the popular game Nerve that asks you to do dares for money others more dangerous and some fatal.

Nerve is an interesting premise for sure and whilst watching it I thought of the currently popular game Pokemon Go and I thought Emma Roberts (niece of Julia) was pretty good here she does have a little bit of her aunt's charisma and she also has nice chemistry with Dave Franco who is also pretty good here as Ian another player with a mysterious past.

What does hold this back for me is the endlessly stupid things people do in this film, they're climbing onto cranes, running around department stores in their underwear and even walking along a ladder from high on up and risk falling to their death and after a while I thought to myself "I hate these people and I don't care if they live or die" though the film does redeem itself quite a bit in the last act to reverse a lot of that feeling.

And so that was Nerve which has an interesting premise but stupid characters doing stupid things, 2 out of 5.

No comments: