Thursday, March 24, 2016

Film Review - Zootopia (2016)

Zootopia is the latest Disney Animation production and concerns a young Bunny named Judy Hopps (Gennifer Goodwin) who dreams of becoming a Policeman Officer in Zootopia a big Metropolis where Predators and Prey live together in Peace but this Bunny will face more than a fair few hurdles in the big city, not least a Sly Fox who knows how to Hustle (Jason Bateman.)

I really enjoyed Zootopia, it was fun, exciting and gorgeous to look at, numerous times I kept thinking about the visual design of the film and in each corner of the film there's a really great gag or reference or just another animal around the corner that made me go "That looks really neat."

The film is also very funny for a lot of its runtime, the Sloth moment that was one of the previews for this film is hilarious and that whole scene had me laughing my head off in the cinema, some of the references in the film also made me laugh, some of the messages in the film did feel a little too overdone at times but it didn't bother me as much as it has in a lot of other animated films particularly in recent years.

And lastly there is some great voice acting here, Goodwin is a likeable ol' Bunny as Judy and Bateman is great as the Hustling Fox, I also loved seeing Idris Elba as the Captain of the ZPD and I also loved JK Simmons as Mayor Lionheart he did remind me a little bit of Mufasa from the Lion King.

And so that was Zootopia, great fun for young and old and easily my favourite of the post Toy Story 3 pack of animated films, 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: