Thursday, March 24, 2016

Film Review - Batman V Superman Dawn of Justice (2016)

Batman V Superman takes place after the events of 2013's Man of Steel and Superman (Henry Cavill) finds himself on trial by the US Senate over his actions regarding the destruction of Metropolis, meanwhile Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) and Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) are conflicted over Superman's role in the world but both could have far more common goals regarding the Man of Steel then they realize.

I was very very mixed going into this movie as I have not been a big fan of Zack Snyder's work as a director since 300 in 2007 as I find it to be pompous, over blown and so over the top that it rivals Michael Bay's work in terms of subtlety and also the previews for this film showed too much for my liking and didn't inspire a lot of confidence but could Justice Dawn and win me over or was the power of the Dark Side too strong to resist?

Surprisingly it was neither of those things for while I think the film is fine it is also very VERY predictable to sit through as scenes would play out in my mind and I would sit there thinking "That's gonna happen" and it did, the script (by Chris Terrio Affleck's writer on Argo) also feels like its cobbled together from 3 separate films:

- The true sequel to Man of Steel
- A new Batman film
- The origins of the Justice League

As for Snyder's direction well frankly its awful, so much of the film looks dark and in your face and VERY CGI heavy especially during the climax and at times it throws so much at you that you find yourself struggling to keep up with it all and when you come out of the film you start to feel dizzy.

Which leads me to my next point which is the score by Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL and it is so bombastic and over the top that it feels like every note is pounding into your skull and part of me just kept thinking "Please Stop" as it just got too much.

And now I come to the performances, Ben I thought was a pretty weak Batman as he just didn't have that personal drive that Christian Bale's Batman had when you came to understand why it was he became and needed to be the Batman, this 1 just feels like a Brute in a Batsuit and in that same boring way Michael Shannon's General Zod felt like, Gal Gadot barely appears as Wonder Woman and really only appears here to help set up Justice League and Eisenberg feels like he's come from an entirely different film and after a while I just kept thinking "PLEASE SHUT UP."

But there were some things I did like primarily Jeremy Irons as Alfred he stole every scene he was in and some of the films moments did make me laugh from time to time.

And so that was Batman V Superman, it's a fine film but it's also one that feels very predictable and flat and overblown to watch, it also made me so much more keen for another Dragon Ball movie as well as Bryan Singer's X-Men Apocalypse in May, 2 out of 5.

No comments: