Saturday, September 12, 2015

Film Review - The Age of Adaline (2015)

The Age of Adaline does tell the tale of Adaline Bowman (Blake Lively) a young woman born at the turn of the 20th century but after suffering a horrible accident is suddenly blessed with eternal life but on New Year's Eve she meets Ellis (Michel Huisman) which prompts her to ask a big Question: Who Wants to Live Forever?

I was really looking forward to this movie mainly because I loved the preview for it, it reminded me an awful lot of one of my favourite movies of all time Highlander with Christopher Lambert but this could this film deliver on that promise or can there truly be only one.

Well I am happy to report that this movie did indeed deliver the goods, I found it to be a very charming love story with an appropriate sprinkling of the immortality myth like we saw in Highlander, Lively has been someone I've not really liked all that much over the years but I thought she did very well here which is ironic given her own husband Ryan Reynolds was going to be the new Connor MacLeod in the Highlander remake, Huisman is fine but his character bothered me at times throughout the film.

The best performance however is Harrison Ford's and its probably the best he's been in a long time as Ellis's father who knew Adaline in his youth and the heartache he feels when she comes back feels very real, hopefully with this and the new Star Wars film we might see the Harrison Ford of old come back as he's been a bit of a grump on screen for a fair few years now.

Now look Age of Adaline is not the best film I've seen but it was one that I thought was pretty charming thanks to its central storyline/character and the key performances particularly by Ford, 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: