Thursday, September 17, 2015

Film Review - Oddball (2015)

Oddball is an Australian film that takes place in the South West Victorian town of Warrnambool and concens Chicken Farmer Swampy (Shane Jacobson) who's mischevious Dog Oddball causes a lot of damage in town but one night after rescuing a local penguin from a Fox (Foxes have been hunting the Penguins on the Island Sanctuary they call Home) Oddball scares off the Fox and Swampy gets an idea.

Despite it taking place in the area I myself call home, Oddball is sadly just another run of the mill kids film that will probably work best for 4 to 6 year olds but I doubt older children or their parents for that matter will be all that interested in it as it is very light hearted and at times it has its charms but it also didn't really hold my attention beyond the first 2 acts of the film.

And the reason for this I feel is that the story here gets pretty predictable as it goes on and by the time the 3rd act came around I began to get a little bit bored with it all including its really silly ending, Jacobson is a fine everyman here but he is doing a lot of that work himself, Sarah Snook again is okay, Deborah Mailman was nice to see here in a small role and Alan Tudyk pretty much played the token American we see in a fair few Aussie films.

I wish I could be more enthusiastic about this movie but seeing the places I visit every week on the cinema screen (and indeed in the very place it was filmed) just wasn't enough for me to pile this into the straightforward kids film pile, good for the younger kids but older kids might be wise to see the Maze Runner: Scorch Trials or Pan instead, 2 out of 5.

No comments: