Friday, November 14, 2014

Film Review - Let's Be Cops (2014)

Let's Be Cops stars Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr as a pair of men from Ohio who move to Los Angeles to make a break in life, one in pro football the other in computer games but one night they decide to put on some old police uniforms and pretend to be Cops but as they say be careful what you pretend to be.

Going into this film I feared the worst I had heard bad reviews, the preview didn't do a lot for me and I just got the feeling that this would be awful and unfunny.

Surprisingly this was not as bad as I thought it would be but also I wouldn't give it much of a pass either and I think the reason I feel this is the case is that parts of it did make me chuckle a little and I did like Wayans Jr possessing some of the Jamie Foxx charisma.

But the reason I don't give this much of a pass is that it is just a very very very predictable comedy for the moment they put on the uniforms you pretty much know what is going to happen and as a result a lot of the film just felt like killing time until the third act and also I really find the loudmouth obnoxious boorish man child not very appealing as a lead for a feature film or even in life, where are the confident people to lead films these days as I miss them and also feel that the movies should sometimes reflect a confidence we have in ourselves.

And although we may not notice it there should be characters (and there are some I will admit) that reflect it and want to inspire us to become that but instead it's this man child mentality that thumbs its nose at any sort of authority or responsibility and just wants to blame others for his or her own mistakes, smegging hell give me a break.

So all in all Let's Be Cops is not terrible but it's also very predictable and I cannot recommend it to anyone, 1.5 out of 5.

No comments: