Saturday, November 1, 2014

Film Review - Frank (2014)

Frank is a British film co written by Jon Ronson who created the Men who Stare at Goats but this is a very different tale about a man named Jon (Domhnall Gleeson) who joins a band as a keyboard artist led by a man named Frank (Michael Fassbender) who wears a giant head to hide his face but there may be more under the surface when it comes to this man.

I liked Frank really primarily because I was a fan of the Men who Stare at Goats which like this film has a very offbeat quirky charm to it that appealed to me and my love of British comedy which sometimes has a very different feel to it than American comedy does, Fassbender is extremely good here despite not seeing his face and Gleeson is fine in his role though he is not as effective as he could have been.

Another good performer is Maggie Gyllenhaal as Clara who is a real bitch in this film and she does very well almost stealing the show from Fassbender and the script co written by Ronson and Peter Straughan has a nice lightness of touch to it that did make me laugh on occasion.

Frank is not a film for everyone but it was one that I liked a fair bit mainly because I knew what I was in for, 3 out of 5.

No comments: