Saturday, November 1, 2014

Film Review - Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films (2014)

Electric Boogaloo was actually the sub title to Breakin 2 and it also is the name of this new documentary by Mark Hartley who also made the terrific documentary Not Quite Hollywood but this one deals with Cannon Studios the brainchild of Israeli filmmakers Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus and the wild ride they took through the film industry of the 1980s.

And I just fell in love with this documentary folks I really did, Hartley brings the same joyful storytelling he brought to NQH and Jamie Blanks along with Hartley and Sara Edwards bring the same editorial tricks they used on NQH and like in that doco it works to great effect here.

One other delight I had whilst watching this doco was looking at the titles on display and going "That was an RCA/Columbia Pictures/Hoyts Video release" as that company back in the 80s distributed a lot of their titles on VHS here in Australia back then and among them were King Solomon's Mines (which was previewed on White Nights), Invasion USA, Invaders from Mars and Superman 4 (which was previewed on Robocop) though Cannon would later branch out on their own in that regard at the cost of Thorn EMI (they would distribute the initial big box release of Highlander.)

If I have a complaint (and it's a VERY minor one in the proceedings of things) is that I wish it had been 20 minutes longer now that is a very rare complaint to have that what you are watching you want more of but I really did think that as I was enjoying what I was watching so much and I suppose you could say that is a good thing or a bad thing but it would have to depend on which way you're looking at it.

And so Electric Boogaloo will definitely be up there as one of my favourite films of the year for sure I just loved it that much and I give it my highest recommendation as well as a 5 out of 5.

No comments: