Friday, June 6, 2014

Film Review - Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Edge of Tomorrow stars Tom Cruise as William Cage, a Soldier in the United Defence Force which is at War with an Alien race called the Mimics but Cage possess the ability to relive the day of the invasion and given that it goes badly, it just might make the difference between victory and defeat.

Part of me was slightly mixed going into this film for whilst I had seen the previews for the film they didn't do an awful lot for me but my weakness for a good Sci-Fi film persuaded me to go and see it, did it deliver the goods?

Well sort of as all I thought was that the film was okay but nothing special for me, first off though I want to talk about what I did like and that is the performances by Emily Blunt and Bill Paxton, Blunt is a very underrated actress and she is strong and charismatic in her role and it's great to see a female version of a character that would normally be written for a male and Paxton is still so much fun to watch on screen and it was a real joy to see him basically doing a parody of the Sergeant character in Aliens.

But the film story wise really did not work for me, all throughout I just kept being reminded so much of the Playstation 3 First Person Shooter Games Resistance which dealt with an Alien invasion by the Chimera in first England and then the United States and elements from all three games were on show in this film.

- First off is the use of England as the location which is also the location of the first Resistance game

- Second is the psychic type powers of its lead character which was a key element of Resistance 2

- And lastly was the desperate search to stop the Aliens once and for all which was the storyline of Resistance 3

And as for Cruise well he's okay but at times he resorted to the obnoxiousness that he shows sometimes and also I didn't really think he was that good of a fit for the role, part of me would have loved to have seen a female star in that role but I doubt that would've ever flown but it's a real shame that it didn't but these things happen.

So all in all, Edge of Tomorrow didn't do a lot for me and when it was over I just thought it was okay but nothing special, 2 out of 5.

No comments: