Thursday, June 19, 2014

Film Review - 22 Jump Street (2014)

22 Jump Street continues on from the film version of 21 Jump Street and sees Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) heading to College to stop the distribution of a Drug Called Why Phy but life in College will not be easy.

Part of me was looking forward to seeing this film but not because of its lead actors but because of its directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller who also made this year's The Lego Movie which along with the Wolf of Wall Street are my favorite films of the year so far, could they deliver comedy goodness once again?

Bloody Oath they did, the main thing I have to say about this film is that I laughed a lot, out loud as there are so many jokes here that are just great great fun to watch and Tatum in particular drives so much of the comedy with his great comic timing and physical comedy, there was a time where I super hated this man but after seeing him here I had to say to myself "I take it back."

But he isn't the only great performer here, Ice Cube is very funny as the loud mouthed Police Captain and Wyatt Russell (Son of Jack Burton himself Kurt Russell) is very likeable here as well but I have to come back to Lord and Miller once again, these guys are writing some GREAT comedy material lately and along the way giving US Comedy a serious kick up the backside and it sure feels fucking refreshing after the Judd Apatow Comedy Club that makes me think "An Editor, An Editor, My Kingdom for an Editor" and the endless Toilet Humour that got very tiresome a long time ago.

So all in all, 22 Jump Street is very funny and absolutely worth the ticket price to go and see it, 4 out of 5.

No comments: