Saturday, June 7, 2014

Film Review - Inside Llewyn Davis (2014)

Inside Llewyn Davis is written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen and stars Oscar Issac as Llewyn Davis, a folk singer in 1961 New York but he's also very abrasive to those around him and he sleeps on the couches of others but he is very determined to make something of his musical career despite these faults.

Inside Llewyn Davis for me was okay, it wasn't a great film for me to be sure but it was one that I would say that I did enjoy despite my misgivings about it, I loved the performances by Issac, Justin Timberlake, Carey Mulligan and John Goodman they were all very good, I love the look of the film in terms of the recreation of the era and the soundtrack as well was nice.

But at the same time part of me didn't really warm to Davis as a character in the story as he didn't really go anywhere now don't get me wrong I have enjoyed unlikeable characters in films The Wolf of Wall Street is a great example of this but I just found myself taking the side of Carey Mulligan's character and others like her when they said to him that he was no good and that his life has no direction to it.

This isn't really a bad thing to be sure but that's just how I found myself reacting to the film as I was watching it.

So all in all, I think that Inside Llewyn Davis is well made as a film but I didn't really care all that much for the central character arc all that much but I would still recommend it, 3 out of 5.

No comments: