Sunday, April 6, 2014

Film Review - Cuban Fury (2014)

Cuban Fury stars Nick Frost as Brian Garrett, a once gifted Salsa dancer who is beaten up by Bullies one night and afterwards gives it up, now he is a grown man working in an Office and he falls for his new boss (Rashida Jones) but his co-worker (Chris O'Dowd) also fancies her too, could reviving his dancing prove the key to winning her over?

I was looking forward to Cuban Fury going into seeing it primarily because of Nick Frost being in the lead and both him and Simon Pegg I've been great fans of now for the last few years so I was keen to give this film a look, could it deliver?

Yep, it did deliver the goods, I had good fun with this film and that is primarily down to the fun casting, Frost is very likeable in the lead role and holds his own very well, Olivia Coleman and Rory Kinnear (Tanner from Skyfall) are also good in their roles as was Ian McShane in his small role and Rashida Jones was very appealing as the love interest, in fact watching her reminded me very much of an old friend who I still miss today.

However the film is not perfect and that comes down to some of the humour not working very well at all, primarily it comes down to the Gay friend Brian meets who comes across as very stereotypical and O'Dowd's character I really hated as all he could think about was bedding his boss, O'Dowd is a funny man but he is much better than this terrible character he's been handed to play.

So all in all I liked Cuban Fury and it's well worth checking out when it's released on DVD, 3 out of 5.

No comments: