Sunday, April 6, 2014

Film Review - Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Who's Strong and Brave Here to Save the American Way,
Who Vows to Fight like a Man for What's Right Night and Day,
Who will Campaign Door to Door for America,
Carry the Flag Shore to Shore for America,
From Washington to the French Sea,
The Star Spangled Man with a Plan.

Who'll Give the Winter Soldier the Sack and is Smart as a Fox,
Who's Making Bad Guys Afraid to step out of their Box,
Who'll stop the Snake that Sleeps in America,
We know it's no one but Captain America,
The Star Spangled Man WITHHH A PLANNNNNNNNN.

As you might have guessed, I was very much looking forward to this film going in, it along with Jack Ryan from earlier this year have been my most anticipated films of the year and despite a rocky Start for Marvel's 2nd Phase with Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, I was confident the Captain could inspire the troops to get out onto cinema screens and rejuvenate the team, did he do so?

Hell fucking yes he did boys and girls, I really loved this film and afterwards I thought to myself "This is the Marvel movie I've waited for since the Avengers" in that like the last Hobbit movie the Desolation of Smaug it was much more of that rousing adventure we want from this franchise, Chris Evans does well third time around as Cap though it's more of a case of less sermonising and more shield throwing, Anthony Mackie does well in his role and I liked Robert Redford in a key role that I won't say much more about.

This is also true of the rest of the film as the story takes a few twists and turns that will be genuinely surprising to those who don't know a lot about it before they buy their ticket but all I will say from here is that it nicely sets up the Age of Ultron which is due next year.

So all in all, The Winter Soldier is great fun and the best of the Phase 2 Marvel films so far, definitely go to a 2D session when you get the chance, 4 out of 5.

No comments: