Thursday, March 20, 2014

Film Review - Tracks (2014)

Tracks is the true story of Robyn Davidson, an Australian woman who journeyed from inland Western Australia to the Indian Ocean, a journey of some 2000 miles with only 4 camels and her pet dog for company but there's always a way across the desert and this is one woman who is determined to find it.

I really enjoyed Tracks, the film has an interesting story to it despite its fairly simple premise but I was drawn into Robyn's story primarily because part of me finds those "loner" stories exploring a wasteland rather appealing, part of me also thought of Mad Max 2 in some very silly way but that film whilst heavily action packed but at the heart of that film as well as this one was a lone person wandering through a wasteland in search of a deeper meaning.

As for the performances well Adam Driver is perfectly fine though he doesn't an awfully large part in the story but the main one that matters is that of Mia Wasikowska who plays Robyn and she is just wonderful, never failing to hold your attention the entire time on screen, there aren't very many actresses that I find myself swooning over but she would definitely have to be one of them and I hope that she continues her good work for years to come.

So all in all, Tracks is well made and well performed but if some have reservations about it I can understand as it's a tough ask and a hard sell but it's well worth a watch when the DVD is released, 3 out of 5.

No comments: