Sunday, March 16, 2014

Film Review - Don Jon (2014)

The directorial debut of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Don Jon stars him as Jon, a young man who loves his friends, his church and women, lots of them but one night he meets Barbara (Scarlett Johansson) and everything changes.

Don Jon is one of those films where I can't help but say "I'm not Angry, I'm just very very disappointed" as I do like JGL a lot, he's a very talented man and here he shows some real skill in the director's chair, the film has a nice snappy pace to it and its clear he was paying attention in recent years when working with directors like Chris Nolan, it's made me keen to see him do more directorial work in the future.

His script for this film on the other hand is horrible and not in a "its badly written" way but more in a way that I just found really bothersome, allow me to explain better:

The first problem is the god awful stereotyping present here and it's not just the all too common stereotyping of women as basically being objects to be conquered in the bedroom or just aloof fantasies with no personalities of their own but the stereotyping of the men is just as bad if not worse as its the awful one where the men are basically bros before hoes booze hounds who go out clubbing every night, give me a fucking break.

The second problem I had was the treatment of love and intimacy in this film and to cut a long story short all these things are here for in this film are a cheap thrill and as a result I found that the film lacked any real heart at its centre, yes the film zips along at a nice pace but the film has no meaningful centre to it and for me if you're going to deal with this sort of subject matter there has to be some sort of heartfelt centre to it and here there isn't one and as a result, the film suffers.

But to wrap this up, I'm not Angry about Don Jon but I do feel very disappointed by it as I do like JGL and have enjoyed his recent film work but I wanted something better from him than this and unless you're a diehard fan of his, this is to be avoided, 1.5 out of 5.

No comments: