Thursday, October 17, 2013

Film Review - Rush (2013)

Rush is directed by Ron Howard and stars Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt and Daniel Bruhl as Niki Lauda, both fierce rivals on the Formula 1 circuit in the 1970's, a rivalry that can prove deadly.

I went into Rush with very high expectations as I really loved the documentary Senna from 2011 and this film looked terrific from the previews I saw, did it hit pole position or crash out on the track?

Well, not only did it hit pole position but it came first at the finish line, I really loved this movie almost from start to finish, I thought Howard's direction had a vitality to it that his early work like Cocoon had and didn't feel limp and ridiculous like his Da Vinci films did, Hemsworth was great I thought and confirmed my view that he has become the new Mel Gibson and Bruhl was more than his equal as Lauda and the scenes between the two of them are terrific.

The other thing I really liked was how it recalled the era of the 1970's, an era that I'm very fond of and some of the songs that were used in the soundtrack really got my attention, one of those being "Gimme Some Lovin" which was also used in Days of Thunder, I also thought Olivia Wilde was surprisingly good in her small role, proving that she actually can act as well as be a pretty face.

So all in all, Rush was everything I hoped it would be and more and will surely be one of my favourite films of the year, a definite must see, 4 and a half out of 5.

No comments: