Thursday, October 17, 2013

Film Review - About Time (2013)

About Time is directed by Richard Curtis and stars Domnhall Gleeson as Tim, a man who learns from his father (Bill Nighy) that he has the ability to travel through time, an experience he comes to learn well and hopes it will make him lucky in love, though he has no idea what will be in front of him.

I went into About Time very hopeful as the premise of it being a Sci-Fi romance movie reminded me in some way of the first Terminator movie which at its heart was a Sci-Fi romance as well as Arnold walking around killing a bunch of people but that's that movie, did this one deliver the goods?

Right-a-Rooney it did, I thought this was a very charming film with some nice heart to it and good performances by Gleeson, Nighy and Rachel McAdams who is better than I've seen her be in some time in this role, I also really liked the time travel premise the film develops and the rules that govern it and had me thinking a little bit about it after the film was over.

However the film is not without its faults and the main one is that it's too long and at a certain point in the film I began to get a little impatient and started to check my watch on a few occasions, if you had pretty well cut out the stuff with the kids for the most part then the film would've been much more manageable and maybe, just maybe the ending might have had a little more emotional impact.

So yeah despite that small flaw, About Time is a well made and touching rom com that is well worth seeing, 3 out of 5.

No comments: