Thursday, October 13, 2011

Film Review - Real Steel (2011)


Real Steel stars Hugh Jackman as Charlie Kenton, a former boxer who is now retired as the world has moved to robot boxing, after losing a robot in a bull ring he learns that the mother of his son has died and young Max (Dakota Goyo) is now in his care, one night he goes to collect the kid and he falls down a cliff only to be saved by an old robot.

Real Steel is actually a pretty enjoyable film, thanks largely to Jackman's presence, Jackman has the ability to slip into the shoes of almost any character seamlessly and here he does a great job as well as a somewhat convincing American accent though it does at times slip back into his natural accent.

I also liked the robot effects, they looked pretty convincing and the fights were for the most part well filmed by director Shawn Levy though at times they did go a little too close, also the story for the most part borders on being a bit predictable but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the film too much though another small niggle I had was with the score by Danny Elfman, I was hoping it would found more of that Bill Conti feel from the Rocky series as I did find myself humming some of that music in parts of this film.

So overall, Real Steel is a great time at the movies with the kind of tone I really wished had been in the Transformers movies instead of the heartless piles of mashed up junk we got, 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

Netherland said...

I normally don't write reviews, this is actually my first one ever written, but I felt like I needed to encourage people to go see it! This movie is just drop dead amazing. I haven't felt so "connected" to a movie since I saw Avatar in 3D. It was great. There is a lot of depth to the movie and characters.