Saturday, October 8, 2011

Film Review - Source Code (2011)


Source Code stars Jake Gyllenhall as what seems to be Jeff, a school teacher who is on a train heading into Chicago and sitting across from him is Christina Warren played by Michelle Monahan, but suddenly a bomb goes off killing all on board, but there is more to all of this than meets the eye.

To start things off I think that the movie is well directed by Duncan Jones, also known for the 2009 sleeper Moon, he paces the film well and doesn't let things run on too long though I also can't help but think that he was helped in this endeavour by the films editor Paul Hirsch who also helped edit Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back, there are also some good performances in this film particularly by Jeffrey Wright and Vera Farmiga.

However I have a BIG bone to pick with this film and that is with the script, quite frankly it is pathetic, plot hole ridden and at times illogical, now to be fair it opens very well with the initial train explosion but after that Gyllenhall asks all these stupid questions that make you think "JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO THE FUCKING LADY YOU DOPE".

I know I shouldn't have done that but it's because Farmiga's character (probably the only character in this movie with SOME intelligence and humanity) tells you exactly what you need to know before going into the train but Gyllenhall keeps asking all these stupid questions that are very off putting and to be frank made me angry, you're asking me to play fair dinkum with the movie and the logic within it but why should I do that when the movie itself keeps throwing up these endless and pointless questions about the who, what, where and why of all this when you only need to know that info at the time its required, all it did in the end is make me think that the movie itself is unsure of itself especially in light of what I said earlier when its wanting a confidence from its audience to follow it when it doesn't project that same confidence within the world the movie exists in or in its own rules.

But wait there's more, and it regards the ridiculous ending that I can't say too much about it but quite frankly I found insulting as it betrayed what the film was saying up to that point but I guess it had to be there so the pretty leads that are oh so beloved could end up together and we can wrap the film up in a nice neat little bow and have the happy ending with the clear blue sky and singing birds and "love is in the air, everywhere I look around", give me a fucking break.

If you haven't guessed by now, I didn't think that much of this movie at all and all it did in the end was make me appreciate Chris Nolan's Inception a lot more, a movie that not only asked its audience to stick with it but also have the courage of its convictions and not dumb itself down to try and get the conventional audience to go and see the film and be confident of not only itself but the world it exists in it and the rules that guide it, .5 out of 5.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

I have to agree with you about the ending, Like they flipped a coin and decided oh let's make him survive. But if it never happened then how could it have happened that he was there in the first place. I can understand if it was him and her walking off like it was his alternate reality in his head, but they totally cheesed the ending of the movie up. I have never been a big Jake Gyllenhall fan, mostly because I don't think that much of his acting. He did a little better in this movie, but the questions did get irritating, and he wasn't acting like a soldier. I never saw this movie in theaters because of the reviews I was reading, but a friend talked so highly of the movie that I decided to rent it on my Blockbuster Movie Pass. Do you think they would refund my $10 monthly charge because of this movie? I wonder if I can go back and get those 2 hours of my life back. Even working at DISH has been more fulfilling then scratching my head trying to figure out what they were thinking they were doing with this movie.