Saturday, May 14, 2011

Film Review - Tangled (2010)


Tangled is Disney's 50th Animated Feature and is based off the classic story of Rapunzel, the girl with the long hair locked in a tower, but this time a thief named Flynn Rider voiced by Zachary Levi from Chuck finds her and agrees to take her out into the world, but not if her evil stepmother voiced by Donna Murphy has anything to do with it.

You know while I thought there was some mild enjoyment in that I enjoyed some of the songs, some of the jokes and some parts of the film on the whole I felt that the film failed for pretty much the same reason I felt Thor didn't pass muster.

Yes it's the old weak villain routine and I have a ruling that Disney movies share the same philosophy as an action picture in that they are defined by the strength of their villain and while Murphy is a fabulous actress and singer she didn't really give it the energy that someone like Jonathan Freeman did when he voiced Jafar in 1992's Aladdin, a film far superior to this one it's beyond a joke and though I didn't wish for Jafar to appear in this film as I wanted for Kratos to do so in Thor, a presence like his was sorely missed.

But my other key problem is this: the film's tone at times it plays out like an old fashioned Disney fairytale but also it tries to be a post modern Shrek like movie and the two styles didn't mesh together, it should have gone in one way or the other, not try to mould both.

All in all, though I did like some of it, to me it fell short of satisfaction so just a 1 and a half out of 5.

No comments: