Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Film Review - Paul (2011)


Paul reunites Simon Pegg and Nick Frost from 2007's Hot Fuzz, this time as two budding Sci-Fi fans from England who journey to America to attend the San Diego Comic Con, but one day while driving through the midwest, they encounter a strange person in the desert nearby, or is it?

While watching Paul I thought to myself that it was an absolute pleasure to see Pegg and Frost together again having missed them in Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim vs. The World from last year, they work very well together and have great chemistry and comedic timing.

Not only that I also enjoyed the performances by Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, Sigourney Weaver who does the Dr. Claw type role for most of the movie and Seth Rogen as Paul himself who almost ended up stealing the show from all the others.

If there is a fault I have with the film it's that the jokes don't quite work, one being the joke about the green Alien woman with the three tits despite the characters not knowing that was done in 1990's Total Recall, I wish someone had pointed that out at some stage as it stuck out like a sore thumb and Hot Fuzz didn't have that problem, but hey that's just nitpicking and that isn't the subject of this review.

What is the subject of this review was that I was entertained by some of the jokes and the performances I mentioned above and as a moviegoer, can you ask anything more than for a movie to leave you feeling entertained after it's over, this did and I was happy to say it here, 3 out of 5.

No comments: