Saturday, May 28, 2011

Film Review - The King's Speech (2010)


The King's Speech stars Colin Firth as George, who is next in line to become the king of England after his father dies and his elder brother is forced to abdicate the throne following an illegitimate marriage, but this new King has a rather big problem: He bloody well stammers so his wife played by Helena Bonham Carter goes to a speech therapist played by Geoffrey Rush but war with Germany is looming and the nation will await the King to address them.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the King's Speech as I didn't think that I will enjoy but the film's trailer made me laugh and became slowly convinced to check it out but it's recent victory at the last Academy Awards for best Picture made me change my mind but I watched it anyway so how did I like it.

Surprisingly I did enjoy it, mainly for it's warm and touching qualities as well as it's very funny humour between Firth and Rush using every slang term in the book to help the King overcome his stammer but my favourite performance is by Bonham Carter, an actress who normally doesn't do roles like this but this film makes me wish she would do more of them as she is warm and tender in a way that shows off how good of an actress she can be.

So overall, a good film worth the time and money, 3 out of 5.

No comments: