Saturday, August 29, 2009

Film Review - The Devil Wears Prada (2006)


The Devil Wears Prada stars Anne Hathaway as Andy Sachs, a Midwestern girl who goes to New York to apply for a job at Runway Magazine under what she will find out to be the boss from hell, played by Meryl Streep.

Now, even though this is a chick flick by design, I did get some good laughs out of this film, mainly due to the performance by Emily Blunt who looks like a drag queen throughout the film and talks like a character from an old British comedy and Meryl Streep’s performance surprisingly made me think of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget, so much so in fact I was expecting her to be petting a cat throughout the film, the reason I say that is due to the fact that her performance at times crosses into cartoon territory.

Hathaway on the other hand was merely okay, she was better than in Passengers but most of the time she speaks in a snarky and sarcastic tone of voice that reminds you of Alec Baldwin, which I suspect she may become the female equivalent of in the next few years.

As for the film itself, well I did laugh as I said but I didn’t really get with it, so I have to give it a 2 out of 5, there’s a lot to like here from Blunt but Streep bordered on being a bit too cartoonish at times and the rest didn’t do much for me at all.

No comments: