Thursday, May 26, 2022

Film Review - The Drovers Wife (2022)

The Drovers Wife is directed, written and starring Leah Purcell as Molly Johnson a Drovers Wife in the Victorian High Country in the 1860s as she tries to raise her children on the land while her Drover husband is away but this will not be easy.

 

The Drovers Wife did very little for me I’m sorry to say and like the Northman it comes to a thin story that felt too stretched out for my liking though this film runs only 109 minutes instead of 140 minutes but I also felt the length of this one a little bit.

 

Don’t get me wrong there is some great cinematography by Mark Wareham of the High Country but its hard to make the high country look boring on film as its such a beautiful area in Victoria and I like Purcell as Molly Johnson she comes across as hard edged but compassionate and it’s a good character but often she feels more talked about than actually shown, I also liked Sam Reid and Jessica De Gouw as an English couple looking to build a life in a frontier town plus Rob Collins is good as well as a local Indigenous man on the run.

 

But again I felt this story was a little too thin and stretched out for me and after a while I got a bit over seeing so many scenes of people talking about Molly or some nice shots of the High Country through the seasons and by the time you got to the end of the film I was just waiting for it to end I’m sorry to say.

 

And so that was The Drovers Wife and it wasn’t really for me I’m afraid, it has its bright spots but its not one I’m going to recommend much, 1 out of 5.

No comments: