Thursday, May 5, 2022

Film Review - The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022)

 The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent stars Nicolas Cage as Nick Cage and he finds himself not only in a career slump but also his relationship with his wife (Sharon Hogan) and his daughter (Lily Mo Sheen) but his agent (Neil Patrick Harris) gives him an offer that may well help to turn things around, attend the birthday party of a rich superfan (Pedro Pascal) and he’ll be paid one million dollars but once he takes the job he then finds himself embroiled in a CIA operation spearheaded by Tiffany Haddish that could complicate his new role.

 

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is an okay film but not one I found myself jumping up and down about mainly because I’m not the worlds biggest fan of Nicolas Cage as an actor especially in the last 10-15 years or so of his career where he’s more or less played himself at various stages of over the top and here in an actual movie where he plays himself it rubbed me the wrong way a little bit.

 

Now that’s not to say that Cage is bad in this movie, I think he’s perfectly fine and serviceable but when I was watching this movie a part of me kept thinking that this movie should have been about a fictional movie star rather than a real life one as I think having it be a real life star as the basis of this film didn’t really do it for me whereas if the focus had been a fictional star based on a real one then you could’ve really made this story idea sing.

 

But it isn’t all bad here, Pedro Pascal lifts everything he’s in and here is no exception as he was easily my favourite part of this movie plus there is a joke regarding a recent film from a few years ago that really made me laugh in my cinema seat.

 

But to wrap this up all this movie really did in the end was make me appreciate Robert Altman’s the Player which celebrates its 30th Anniversary this year all the more as that film was probably the greatest movie about the movies I’ve ever seen and attempts to make this generation’s equivalent of that great film be it this one or Once Upon a time in Hollywood in 2019 which I liked for the most part just fall flat for me especially in comparison.

 

And so that was The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent and its not a bad film but its one that didn’t do an awful lot for me either but it had its bright spots, 3 out of 5.

No comments: